- For those of you who understand that "Born in the USA" is NOT a patriotic song, try this one Bruce wrote after 9/11 - Image via Wikipedia"The Rising"
- Instead of "God Bless America", how about the song Woody Guthrie wrote in response to it - "This Land is Your Land"?
- While we're on protest singers, how about Bob Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom"?
- For a more traditional song, try Ray Charles's version of "America the Beautiful".
- When someone criticizes the President and suffers because of it, here's the proper way to respond - Dixie Chicks "Not Ready to Make Nice". Here's to the power of the freedom of speech.
- Why this one isn't played more this weekend, I don't know. Might be the only rock song with the word "patriot" in it.- Little Steven "I Am a Patriot"
- The Man in Black goes patriotic - "Ragged Old Flag"
- You might think "R.O.C.K. in the USA" should be the choice here, but Melloncamp's "Small Town" has a more patriotic feel to it.
- Even the biggest cynic has to get misty with this one - SSgt. Barry Sadler, "Ballad of the Green Berets"
- Don't need to explain this one - "4th of July" by X
Sunday, July 03, 2011
Songs for an Alternative 4th of July
We were at a baseball game (Nashua Silver Knights) and listened to the same old patriotic songs. If I was running the show, here are some alternatives I'd play: